top of page
  • Writer's pictureGenoveva Meza Talbott

What Happens if I Don’t Pay my Child Support?

Not paying child support has the potential to put you in a devastating position.

Keeping up with child support payments has the potential of being a difficult task. In fact, child support is one of the most disputed aspects of a divorce proceeding. You may be struggling to make payments or feel that your child support order is unfair. Even if you don’t agree with your child support order, you should not refuse to pay the amount specified by the terms of your child support order. If you fail to pay, you will be facing severe penalties.

The following are some of the actions that the Department of Child Supportive Services and other government agencies may take to collect on owed child support payments:

● Failure to pay or late payments are always reported to credit reporting agencies, often affecting your credit score.

● In the event that a person owes over $2,500, the US Department of State will not issue or renew a passport until all payments are made, thus preventing international travel.

● Liens may be filed on any home owned by the person who owes child support. In the event that the property is sold, the liens on the property will be applied to the amount owed in child support.

● Suspension or revocation of licenses including driver’s licenses, occupations, recreations, and permanent state-issued professional licenses until past-due child support payments are collected in full.

The consequences worsen if the court finds that you are able to pay support but willfully choose not to. If this happens, you may be held in contempt of court. Contempt actions can be criminal in nature; this means that you could be sentenced to jail time if you fail to pay child support.

Not paying child support has the potential to put you in a devastating position. If for some reason you are unable to pay child support, you must take action to inform the court of this and request a change. Failure to inform the court could lead to legal actions taken against you.

If you are having difficulty paying your child support, give us a call! We’re here to guide you through this difficult time. (909) 377-8141.

This Blog/Website is made available by the lawyer or law firm publisher for educational purposes only as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this blog site, you understand that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The Blog/Web Site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.


bottom of page